I have mentioned before that I need a good excuse before I decide to make something sweet. Today, I came up with 3 good excuses. 1) It was my son Devin’s first day of 10th grade, 2) I shopped at Penzey’s for the first time and bought some cardamom that I wanted to try out and 3) I’m babysitting my 13-month-old nephew Ryder tomorrow and he would love a cookie!
Here’s some of my loot from Penzey’s:
The cookies turned out chewy, yet thin and crispy and with an interesting background of spice. This recipe is a keeper!!
Cardamom Chocolate Chip Cookies
From Backpack to Buggy
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons (heaping) cardamom powder
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temp
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups chocolate chips (I used semi sweet)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Combine first 4 (dry) ingredients in a small bowl. In a large bowl beat butter and sugars until creamy. Add eggs one at a time, then add vanilla. Gradually add the flour mixture. Stir in chocolate chips until just combined.
- Drop into parchment lined cookie sheet by rounded teaspoonfuls. Bake 9-11 minutes until slightly browned. Cool for 2 minutes before transferring to wire rack to cool.