Yesterday Devin and Travis requested pizza for lunch. Travis purchased some locally made sausage at a farmers market a couple of weeks ago and it has been waiting in the freezer for the moment when we were ready to transform it into a pizza topping. I knew he wanted pizza because he took the sausage out of the freezer last night to defrost. Yeah, in case you wondered he never does that…
I have made this dough once before about a month ago. It was my first attempt ever at making dough of any kind. I was so sure that it wouldn’t turn out that I didn’t take any pictures or even think about blogging about it.
I cut down Gwyneth’s recipe the first time I made it because I only had two packets of yeast instead of three. I decided to do the same thing this time because it makes two medium sized pizzas and that’s all we need for a meal with a couple of leftover slices for a snack later. You could also make half of it and freeze the other half to use later.
Gwyneth Paltrow’s Pizza Dough
From My Father’s Daughter
For the dough:
- 1 1/2 cups warm water, divided
- 1 1/3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 packages active dry yeast (I used Hodgson Mill)
- 3 1/3 cups King Arthur white wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- In a large bowl, whisk together 3/4 cup of the water, the yeast and the sugar. Let stand until the surface has bubbles and it’s creamy, about 5 minutes. Add the other 3/4 cup of warm water, 2 cups of the flour, salt and olive oil. Stir until smooth (with your hands). Gradually add the rest of the flour until the dough starts to pull away from the bowl.
- Knead the dough on a floured counter surface until elastic and smooth – it will take about 5- 8 minutes. Dust the surface of the dough as you go if it is sticky. Form the kneaded dough into a ball, place into a large clean bowl, drizzle with a little olive oil on top and turn the ball around until there is a little oil on all sides. Cover with plastic wrap and place in a warm place for about an hour and a half or until doubled in size. (Once the dough has reached this point you can refrigerate it until ready to use or even overnight)
- To bake: preheat oven to 425 degrees. Divide the dough in half to make 2 pizzas. Dust the counter with flour and work the dough by stretching it with your fingers and setting it down in the flour if it becomes sticky. I use a pizza tray that has holes in it to allow for a crisper crust but if you have a pizza stone or a wood fired pizza oven like Gwyneth Paltrow then by all means…use that!!
- Add your favorite sauce, toppings and cheese and bake for 10-12 minutes or until browned, bubbly and done.