Happy New Years Eve!
The only time I have ever eaten Turkey Tetrazzini is at the old Ukrops deli. It’s been forever ago since I had it but I remember the turkey, spaghetti noodles and celery goodness very well. It’s a once-a-year-get-rid-of-my-leftover-turkey-kind-of-dish. You know….delish but not something to make all the time.
I read over a few recipes. Some called for tons of cheese or cream cheese….not the flavor or calories that I wanted. Some had ingredient lists a mile long. I made my own version and I think it turned out great. Peas, celery, onion, shiitake mushrooms…a light(ish) sauce with crispy parmesan cheese baked on top. YUM!
The two 15-year-olds in my house ate 2 plate fulls!!
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1-2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 container shiitake mushrooms, stem removed and sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 5 ounces frozen peas
- 1 cup homemade turkey stock (or the boxed stuff is good too)
- 3/4 cup whole milk (I don’t usually buy this but I had some leftover from the mashed potatoes I made on Christmas Eve and didn’t want to waste it)
- 1 cup light sour cream
- 3 cups leftover turkey, shredded
- 10 ounces Barilla Plus spaghetti noodles, cooked for about 8 minutes and drained
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add the extra virgin olive oil. Add onions and celery (salt and pepper) until about halfway cooked or about 5 minutes. Add butter and mushrooms and cook for another 5 minutes. Add peas, shredded turkey, stock, milk and sour cream (then season again with salt and pepper) and cook until starting to bubble. Add cooked, drained noodles and toss to combine
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 13×9 glass dish with non stick olive oil spray and add contents of skillet. Top with 1/2 cup monterey jack cheese and 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil and cook for another 5-10 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool for another 10-15 minutes before serving.