Here I go again. Making breakfast in advance. With 164 calories, 4 grams fat and 3.5 grams protein they are not bad for you and along with a small banana or cup of yogurt would make a great breakfast I think. Especially when you’re in a hurry to head of to school (or work). I stored the 10 that were left (after Devin and I sampled one) in a large ziplock bag and put in the pantry cabinet where I keep bread.
The sugar on top makes the tops crisp and slightly sweet. The cornmeal and berries together are AMAZING. The lemony flavor added another hint of yummy flavor. I’ll make these again for sure.
Blueberry Lemon Muffins
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (I used white wheat flour)
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup organic blueberries (I used frozen)
- 1 cup low-fat organic buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract (I actually didn’t have any lemons…this never happens!)
- 1 large egg
- 12 muffins liners (I used Reynolds StayBright baking cups…they help keep the muffins fresher versus not using liners and just spraying the pan with baking spray)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour and next 5 ingredients (flour through salt) in a medium bowl. Stir in blueberries; make a well in center of mixture. Combine buttermilk, butter, rind, and egg; stir well with a whisk. Add to flour mixture; stir just until moist.
- Spoon batter into 12 muffin cups coated with cooking spray; sprinkle evenly with 1 tablespoon sugar. Bake at 400° for 20 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove muffins from pans immediately; place on a wire rack.