Leeks are SO yummy and I always look for new ways to use them. They add a special flavor to many veggie side dishes or pasta dishes. I eat them all by themselves too!
To prepare these veggies to use as a pizza topping start by sauteing the leeks. While they are getting all soft and happy in the saute pan, prepare the broccolini. I sliced the larger ones in half lengthwise and then cut all of them in half.
How good does this look? Give me a fork!
This combo was so tasty. The guys in my house even ate it. In fact…when there were two pieces left over I threatened them with their lives if they even looked at them. Those two pieces were going to be my lunch the next day!!
Broccolini and Leek Pizza
- 1 bunch organic broccolini
- 1 leek, white & light green part only
- extra virgin olive oil
- your favorite pizza dough, I made my own
- 4 slices italian salami, cut into a small dice (optional)
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup shredded Italian 5 cheese blend cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- To prepare leeks cut the dark green part and root end off, then slice in half lengthwise. Clean by holding under running water and opening up the layers slightly to remove any dirt that might in between the layers. Place leek halves on a cutting board and cut up into half moons.
- Wash broccolini, slice any larger pieces in half lengthwise then cut them all into two pieces.
- Heat skillet over medium heat and add a little EVOO. Add leeks and some salt and pepper. Cook for about 5 minutes stirring a few times and then add the broccolini. Cook only until the broccolini turns bright green. Remove the pan to another unused burner on the stove and let the mixture cool down while you prepare the pizza dough.
- Once the pizza dough is spread out and placed on your pizza stone or tray drizzle the top with some EVOO. Add the broccolini and leeks in a single layer, add the diced salami (if using) then top with the cheeses. Cook until crust is browned and cheese is bubbly (times vary depending on the thickness of your crust and could take 10-20 minutes).