AKA super-healthy homemade Nutella.
Some of the many interesting facts about hazelnuts (found here):
- A specific B vitamin found in hazelnuts called thiamin works to help regulate your nervous system and aid healthy muscle and cardiovascular health. This valuable vitamin and antioxidant eliminates free radicals within your body that have connections with causing cancer.
- Hazelnuts lack both sodium and cholesterol, making them a healthy choice for those watching weight and looking to improve heart health.
- The small nuts contain viable amounts of magnesium and calcium, both of which greatly improve bone and teeth formation and density. Each also helps regulate metabolic functions.
- The copper within hazelnuts plays a vital role in protecting against and improving some forms of arthritis, slowing down the overall aging process, and even stimulating brain cells. Copper also works to increase immunity, protecting you against common sicknesses.
Some benefits of Coconut Oil (found here):
- Coconut oil increases the body metabolism by removing stress on pancreases, thereby burning out more energy… Hence, people living in tropical coastal areas, who eat coconut oil daily as their primary cooking oil, are normally not fat, obese or overweight.
- Coconut oil also helps in preventing premature aging and degenerative diseases due to its antioxidant properties.
- You should read the whole section under “Other”!
For this recipe after the hazelnuts have been roasted you have to try to remove most of the skins…they won’t all come off…
Layer the ingredients in the blender:
Look at that goodness!
Doesn’t it look great in this jar? Give me a spoon!
Chocolate Hazelnut Spread
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons organic coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon organic pure vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups organic raw hazelnuts
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place hazelnuts on a baking tray and roast for 10 minutes. Take them out and shake them around about halfway through. Once roasted place them on a clean kitchen towel and try to remove as much of the skins as possible. Discard skins.
- I used my Vitamix and placed all ingredients in the order listed. Start at level 1 and move dial very slowly to level 8. Run for 20 seconds and turn off.
- Place in an air tight container and refrigerate.
- Makes 2 1/4 cups of chocolate hazelnut butter.
- Enjoy on toast, apples and slathered on crepes etc.