Fast, easy to make pasta sauce doesn’t have to come in jar! I put this pasta together for a quick Sunday lunch when my sister was visiting last weekend. Check some pics from our weekend together on her blog.
We enjoyed (maybe-too-much) wine on Saturday night and I was craving pasta but I also wanted to eat lots of veggies and have a nice healthy meal. The eikhorn pasta has tons of nutrients and 8 grams of protein per serving. I chose shiitake mushrooms for their meaty-ness. Zucchini because it’s one of my favorite veggies and I wanted to add some “green” to the pasta. Garlic and shallots for flavor and bite. Last but not least…fresh, locally made goat cheese that I bought from the SOTJ Farmer’s Market the day before. If I hadn’t added it to the pasta I would have slowly eaten it throughout the week by sticking my finger in the container whenever I saw it in the fridge…it’s THAT good!
Penne with Zucchini and Shiitakes
- 1 – 12 ounce box Jovial Einkorn Penne pasta, cooked
- 4 zucchini, cubed
- 1 package shiitake mushrooms, stems removed and sliced
- 2 shallots, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 – 8 ounce container Night Sky Farms herbed goat cheese
- Set the goat cheese out to soften. Prepare and chop all the veggies. Add butter and oil to a large skillet and heat to medium heat. Add all the veggies at once and cook until zucchini is just getting soft. (I set a lid on the pot for part of the time to help them steam.)
- Cook the pasta according the package directions and drain, reserving a little of the pasta water to help the pasta and veggies all come together.
- In a large bowl toss together cooked pasta, veggies and goat cheese. Add a little pasta water if needed to help everything come together in a nice sauce.