Tomatoes and watermelon are a match made in heaven. If you haven’t tried the combo before you should soon (like tomorrow!). I looked through several recipes before deciding how I wanted to put my salad together. Feta was usually always added but other than that there were tons a variations going on. I thought some diced up cucumber would be nice for crunch and also decided to add a little green with some arugula.
I got lucky while shopping yesterday and found nice sized tubs of pre-chopped organic watermelon at Ellwood Thompsons for only $1.50 a piece! I grabbed 2 of them 🙂
Tomato and Watermelon Salad with Feta
- 1/2 pint cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1 1/2 cups cubed watermelon (make sure it is chilled)
- 1/2 english cucumber, diced
- 1 big handful arugula
- crumbled feta cheese (I used about 1/2 of a block)
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 shallot, finely diced
- 1/4 cup EVOO
- kosher salt and pepper to taste
- In a salad bowl combine the first 5 ingredients. In a separate small bowl whisk together the next 5 ingredients to make a vinegrette. Pour vinegrette over salad…toss…enjoy!
Have you ever