…with Truffle Oil.
This was better than I expected it to be. Like really, really good actually. Rich and comforting Saturday night grub. I cleaned the house and took down the Christmas stuff yesterday so I deserved it! I served this soup with a 3 ounce filet for myself (a larger one for Travis) and some cooked cabbage on the side. Then I watched 2 movies and went to sleep! The end.
Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 shallots, finely diced
- 3 large cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 packages white button mushrooms, sliced thinly
- 2 teaspoons sherry vinegar
- 2 heaping tablespoons flour
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup cream
- 1 teaspoon of white truffle oil (per bowl) for serving (optional…but HELLO)
- sliced green onions or chives (optional)
- Melt butter in a pot over medium heat and add shallots and garlic. Cook for a couple of minutes until they start to get tender and add the mushrooms. Add kosher salt and freshly ground pepper. Stir around every 30-45 seconds until they are tender and then add vinegar. Let the vinegar evaporate a little and add the flour by sprinkling it over the mushrooms and stirring at the same time, let cook for about 2 minutes while continuing to stir. Add stock and bring to boil. Lower the heat a bit and stir in milk and cream. Once that came to a simmer I turned the soup down to low. Serve with a teaspoon of white truffle oil and maybe some thinly sliced green onion.