Chicken and chips and veggies all whirled(is that a word?) together means yummy soupy-goodness. I have seriously made this so many times that I realized not sharing it here was like I was lying to you somehow. I think my spoon goes into my bowl so fast that I just don’t think about you. Sorry. I think.
It easily doubles to feed your 2 brothers, 2 sisters, their husbands and kids…ummm…a big crowd…
Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 white/yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 3 ribs celery, chopped
- 1 large zucchini, chopped
- (you can add a diced red pepper here…I didn’t have one)
- kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 28-ounce can fire roasted tomatoes
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- pepper-jack cheese
- 5-6 cups chicken stock
- 1/2-1 cup crushed tortilla chips
- 3/4 cup Mont Jack cheese with jalapeno peppers
- 1-2 roasted chicken breasts or meat from one small rotisserie chicken, pulled
- 1 cup frozen corn
- Mont Jack cheese
- Sour cream
- more crushed tortilla chips
- Heat oil in dutch oven or large soup pot over medium heat and add vegetables (next 6 ingredients). Season with salt & pepper. Saute until tender or about 15 minutes.
- Add the diced tomatoes, seasonings, fresh cilantro and chicken stock. Bring to a simmer and let cook down for 20 minutes on medium heat.
- Add the crushed tortillas and simmer for 10 more minutes or until soft.
- Remove the pot from the heat and using an immersion blender, blend until smooth. Blend it! Trust me. It somehow tastes better when the soup is smooth!
- Add the shredded, roasted chicken, corn and the cheese and stir around to incorporate.
- Spoon into bowls and finish with your favorite toppings.