My mom used to make a version of this salad when we were kids. I remember there being enough salad that an entire bag of crushed Doritos was mixed in! I think there was also most of a bottle of ranch dressing involved. I substituted a handful of Late July organic tortilla chips. Mom would approve of this version nowadays versus the dusty orange, chemical laden Doritos of the past.
Confession: I hid the rest of the bag of chips from my teenage son, otherwise I wouldn’t have seen them again!
Served in front of the tv while watching the movie Fury with a side of pickled jalapenos.
Chopped Taco Salad
What it took for 2 nice sized servings:
- 8 ounces ground sirloin
- heaping tablespoon taco seasoning
- 4 cups chopped iceberg lettuce
- shredded cheddar cheese, (didn’t measure about 1/3 cup)
- 3 roma tomatoes, diced
- 1/4 cup red onion, minced (in the summer I have used chives)
- 1 avocado, diced
- juice of 1/2 lime
- 12-15 nacho chips, crushed
- Newman’s Own organic ranch dressing (didn’t measure about 1/4 cup)
- pickled jalapenos
- cilantro is amazing in this salad but I didn’t have any
- Cook ground sirloin until well done and drain. Stir in taco seasoning along with a couple tablespoons of water. After the water has evaporated turn off and remove from heat to cool slightly.
- In the meantime start preparing the salad ingredients in a large bowl. Start with the lettuce, tomatoes, onion, cheese, avocado…then squeeze the lime juice over the avocado (for amazing flavor and to keep the color fresh), crush the tortillas over the salad, add the slightly cooled meat, drizzle with the ranch dressing and toss to combine. Serve immediately.